Full Professor and Chair
Technical University of Munich, DE
The University of Edinburgh, UK
I’m a computer systems researcher. My research interests span distributed systems and operating systems. I enjoy building systems to solve practical problems. My primary focus is on building reliable, secure, and scalable systems.
Since 2020, I’m a Full Professor (W3) and Head of the Chair of Computer Systems in the Department of Computer Science as part of the School of Computation, Information and Technology (CIT) at the Technical University of Munich (TUM).
Before moving to TUM, I was a Reader (Associate Professor) in the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh (UoE), where I currently hold an Honorary Full Professor position.
At TUM, I’m also an Academic Co-Director of the TUM Venture Lab for Software/AI, a Board Professor at the Center for Digital Technology and Management (CDTM), and a core member of the Munich Data Science Institute (MDSI), Munich Institute of Robotics and Machine Intelligence (MIRMI), BMBF Center on 6G Life, Konrad Zuse School of Excellence in Reliable AI (relAI), and Munich Quantum Valley (MQV).
At UoE, I’m a Turing Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute and a Principal Investigator at the UK Research Institute in Secure Hardware and Embedded Systems (RISE).
I graduated with a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the Max Planck Institute for Software Systems (MPI-SWS). Before that, I graduated from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur.
I also actively worked in several industrial research labs, most recently as the (Founding) Technical Director of the Huawei Dresden Research Center. Previously, I worked with Microsoft Research, IBM Research, Yahoo! Research, Adobe Systems, and Bell Labs.
Please find the list of publications here.
Please find the list of invited talks here.
Honor and Awards
- NVIDIA Research Award, 2023
- (2x) Google Research Awards, 2023 & 2023
- EuroSys Jochen Liedtke Young Researcher Award, 2023
- ERC Starting Grant, 2022
- Alexander von Humboldt Henriette Herz-Scout Award, 2021
- (2×) Microsoft Research Awards, 2021 & 2019
- (3×) Huawei Research Awards, 2018, 2021, & 2022
- Huawei Research Rising Star, 2020
- Teaching Award at the University of Edinburgh, 2019
- UK’s Hardware Security Institute (UK RISE) Research Award, 2018
- ARM Research Award, 2017
- Turing Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute, UK 2017-2021
- Scottish Computer Society’s (SICSA) Young Researcher Award, 2017
- Microsoft Azure Research Award, 2017
- Max Planck Society, Summa cum laude for the PhD thesis, 2015
- Max Planck Gesellschaft (MPG) Fellowship, 2009
- HPCC Supercomputing Award for RandomAccess benchmark on BlueGene/P, 2008
- Best Master Thesis Award, Student Research Symposium at ACM/IEEE HiPC, 2008
- Award papers:
- Distinguished Award at ASPLOS’23
- (2x) Artifact Awards at EuroSys’22
- Best Paper Award Runner-up at DSN’22
- Best Paper Award at EuroSys’17
- Highlighted Paper at SYSTOR’17
- Community Choice Award at Hadoop Summit’15
- Best Student Paper Award at Middleware’14
- Best Paper Award at HiPC’10
- Program Co-chair, ACM/IFIP Middleware 2023
- Associate Editor, Communications of the ACM (CACM) 2022-
- Workshop/Tutorial Co-Chair, SOSP 2023
- Steering Committee, EuroSys 2022-
- General Chair, EuroSys 2021
- PC Co-Chair, Middleware Doctoral Workshop 2020
- PC Co-Chair, IEEE ICDCS (Dependability track) 2018
- Workshop Co-Chair, ACM EuroSys 2018
- PC Co-Chair, EuroSys Doctoral Workshop (EuroDW) 2018
- Associate Editor, Encyclopedia of Big Data Technologies 2018
- Program Co-Chair and organizer, Workshop on Resilient Systems 201
- British Computer Society (BCS) Distinguished Dissertation, 2018
- EuroSys Roger Needham PhD Award, 2018
Program committee member